Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Swiss Miss

Switzerland was gorgeous. I think I could get used to waking up every morning with a view of the Swiss Alps out my window. I felt like I was living in a commercial for Folgers coffee, Swiss Miss hot cocoa, or Riccola - those throat losenges. Any second I was waiting for the dude in his knickers to blow that horn.

We stayed with Kate's friend Dan, who was working close by at a Boy Scout camp. Basically, what anyone and everyone does in Kandersteg is hike. The first day we took a small hike to a glacial lake. It was so foggy and cold we could hardly see anything, and I'm really glad we didn't go swimming like we planned because I may have lost a limb to frostbite.

The second day we were much more adventurous and took a 2.5 hour hike up into Gasterntal Valley. After grabbing a drink at a cafe (yes they have cafes, restaurants, hotels on the trails haha) we decided to keep going and try to reach the glacier. Basically, we went from our nice wandering hike, to an 800 meter ascent. It got a little miserable for me when my head started imploding because of the high altitude and the "Climb Every Mountain" song from the Sound of Music wouldn't get out of my head. Nevertheless, I perservered with a little encouragement from Kate and Dan, and we reached the top! I can see why people get a rush from hiking. There's nothing more self-satisfying than staring out over what you just climbed and taking in the breath-taking view. If it wasn't for my headache, I would have stood there for hours with a silly grin on my face.

Our last day in Switzerland, we went to Bern (the capital) and Thun. The "cities" were so small and very pedestrian. We just wandered around and saw the Albert Einstein house. We also saw many parks and gardens, glacier lakes, and those typical Swiss houses. Once again, I like Switzerland.

Evaluations
food: we didn't eat out much because it was pricey... but you can't beat that Swiss cheese! **
coffee: cafe latte in a bottle ***
beer: Gurten beer was good, but the "special dark" beer in the pub was surprisingly delicious and not too bitter ****
bikes: too hilly for them
language hilarity: over 4 official languages haha *****
would I return? when I get the courage to go hiking again, yes

No comments: