Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Finalmente en Madrid!

I don't know HOW long I've wanted to go to Madrid for. Forever maybe? Well I was finally there! We stayed with my sister's friend Isma, who was as awesome as she made him out to be. (I'm crying on the inside that I never got a photo of him!) He took us out the first night to a couple places for some vino (wine), which was really cheap and gooood.

The next day we went to the Prado Museum which was paradise for me. There were works by El Greco, Goya, Velasquez, Fra Angelico, Peter Paul Ruben, etc. I've learned about these works in my art classes, but standing in front of them was like my dream come true. I think I could have stood in there for days. I even felt tears coming to my eyes. I'm pathetic :)

After that, we just went to a bunch of gardens and parks. We also went to the Plaza Mayor at night and spent 8 euros on a tapa called "patatas brevas" which were basically hash browns I could have cooked myself. I guess you pay for the outdoor ambience. At least the sangria was worth boring a hole in my pocket.

In summary, I can see why my sis likes Madrid so much. I felt very at home here, with all the mom & pop shops and finally understanding the language didn't hurt. From 9pm-12am at any night of the week, people are out on the streets having dinner, playing soccer, drinking some wine or beers, etc. It was a great vibe of people just going out and enjoying life. I think I caught the Spain bug...

Evaluations
food: paella is good, but I've heard it's not authentic. Gazpacho was awesome. And oddly enough, we had the BEST Indian food there! ****
coffee: yummy ****
beer: no good breweries, but I fell in love with that cheap rueda vino ***
bikes: not too many, but VERY few cars in this walking city
would I return? of course!

No comments: