Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ahhh wine country (aka Bordeaux, France)

I've got nothing but good things to say about Bordeaux. By night, the big town by the river is illuminated and crawling with twenty-somethings trying to get to a club. By day, it was old and majestic with stone buildings and cobble-stone streets lined with cathedrals and shops. Despite not knowing the language, I felt like I could live in Bordeaux too if I wanted.

We stayed with a friend, Gaelle, whom I met in Mexico. She lived on the other side of the river and took us on a quick tour of the city on the first night. The next day was 4th of July!! Um, we were in France, so we did nothing, but here's a pic of a US and France flag outside an army store. THAT'S something you don't see everyday. Besides that, Kate and I roamed the streets, climbed towers, and did a lot of shopping, both at flea markets and this one street in particular that's littered with shops. Now I'm not much of a shopper, but how could I not get shoes that were only 5 euros??

The following day, Gaelle took us to a famous wine town, Saint Emilion. It was the prettiest little French town I've ever seen in my life (ok I know I haven't seen many French towns but it was pretty damn cute). I guess it was also pretty touristy. There were soooo many wine shops with tastings that would leave the amateur's wallet empty. We, however, chose to sip a glass of white wine and take a tour of a Chateau that made the best Merlot known to man. They gave us two tastings at the end of it and if I had $50 and luggage space, those bottles would be mine!

Evaluations
food: galette (like a crepe) with Ratatouille, bacon, and cheese ****
coffee: not too strong ****
beer/wine: Merlot - to die for *****
bike-to-person ratio: 1 to 15 maybe?
would I return? yes, with more money and suitcase space!

No comments: